Poker chips, often known as tokens or checks, are widely used instead of cash in even the lowest stakes home games. These small discs which are easy-to-handle make the game flow faster. Custom chips are a worthwhile investment. Not only do they minimize someone’s liability for counterfeiting or ‘running chips into the play’ but also to enhance the overall quality of any home game.
History of Poker Chips
Poker rooms in the 19th century allowed players to play with coins, gold nuggets and other valuable items. It was challenging to settle game balances in the absence of a standardized unit. Over time, gaming rooms embraced the idea of poker chips. Casinos eventually started producing unique clay chips. Hence, modern-day poker chips have emerged. These chips are manufactured commercially and can not be reproduced easily.
Factors to consider before buying Poker Chips
1. Quantity of Poker Chips
It is possible to buy poker chips in sets (100 to 1000 are common) or per chip. Whether you’re buying a package
or individual chips, you’re going to need a general idea of how many chips to order. You want sufficient chips to cover the number of players. The recommended amount is:
- 200 Chips for four players
- 400 Chips for six players
- 600 Chips for eight players
- 800 Chips for 10+ players
2. Denominations (colour)
There are too many colours in most cheap chipsets
. Follow the lead of the casino and have a total of four. Regardless of the level you play, this colour scheme will work:
- WHITE – 1 unit
- RED – 5 units
- GREEN – 25 units
- BLACK – 100 units
It’s the same colour scheme as most card rooms. This makes it easy to remember, and also makes the change from casino to the home game — or vice versa — easier.
3. Type of Poker Chips
There are mainly four kinds of chips:
- Plastic Poker Chips: There are two types of popular plastic poker chips available. The cheapest is the set in a round carrier that is commonly found. These plastic chips can be purchased in any major chain store, will suffice if you play friendly ‘ kitchen table ‘ poker. The second is plastic-made diamond chips, but regular casino size and a little heavier than the cheaper plastic chips.
- Composite Poker Chips: This is the most commonly purchased poker chip used in regular home games. These are sold in chain stores as well and always come with a dealer key, card deck and cut coin.
- Ceramic Poker Chips: They have a smooth feel of porcelain and are used in numerous casinos. Its main advantage is that they can be graphically designed with details that you can not reproduce on other chip types.
- Clay Poker Chips: Clay chips are the most expensive type of chips available, mostly used in casinos. They are generally considered to be the best quality chips.